Natura 2000 is the key instrument to protect biodiversity in the European Union. It is an ecological network of protected areas, set up to ensure the survival of Europe's most valuable species and habitats. Natura 2000 is based on the 1979 Birds Directive and the 1992 Habitats Directive.
- Which map shows you the protected areas?
- Which is the biggest one?
- Select the map on "marine protected areas by country" to see the volume of the protected areas per country. Click on the info button to see who provided this data.
- Click on the logo of the data provider and you will see the table with the protected areas per country, expressed in km²
- Which is the closest protected area one? Use the measurement tool in case of doubt.
- Why is this instrument important?