Organised by the European Union in collaboration with the Government of the Republic of Seychelles
Under the high patronage of H.E. Wavel Ramkalawan, President of the Republic of Seychelles
7-8 September 2022
Republic of Seychelles, Mahe island, Eden Bleu Hotel
Context and Objectives
Both Africa and Europe have identified blue economy as a key sector to develop their socio-economic aspirations and achieve the different goals of the 2030 Agenda, notably SDG 14 (Life below water). Continental strategies have been developed in the last decade, and many countries have put forward blue economy policies.
The potential of the blue economy is huge. If put on a sustainable path, the blue economy can become a font of actions and ideas creating innovation, protecting natural resources and supporting a fast and lasting recovery from the pandemic.
Against this background, the European Union organised “BlueInvest Africa”, a match-making event between investors and African entrepreneurs active in the blue economy. Th event was about showcasing African innovation, entrepreneurship and creativity for the benefit of the protection, conservation and sustainable use of the ocean.
BlueInvest Africa was a pioneering event. First, because DG MARE has been organising match-making events between investors and entrepreneurs active in the blue economy since 2018. But it was the first time such an event was organised outside the EU’s boundaries. Second, because BlueInvest Africa was the first Africa continental event on the blue economy organised by the EU.
Some figures and feedback received
BlueInvest Africa was the first event of its kind and an unmitigated success, in terms of:
- participation, with 500 participants online and on-site representing 40 African countries,
- putting the blue economy higher on the EU-Africa political agenda, and
- enhancing the visibility of EU actions in Africa and the Western Indian Ocean.
The energy and positive spirit that prevailed throughout the event were impressive and confirmed BlueInvest Africa was able to capture a real need and provide the right platform.
More than 100 B2B meetings took place with an average level of satisfaction of 4,2 / 5.
BlueInvest Africa was also an opportunity to collect success stories describing a diversity of blue economy projects in Africa. See below.
More information, including the recording of all sessions in French and English, is available on the event website BlueInvest Africa 2022 - Info (b2match.io).
Articles & events
The interactive map published on the event website includes all success stories. Do not hesitate to consult it!
- Success Story 1 (South Africa)Global Maritime Youth: turning the gaze of young South Africans to the sea
- Success Story 2 (Senegal)A journey from artisanal fishing to international trade
- Success Story 3 (Mauritius)Yéyé Cooperative: from family activity to business management
- Success Story 4 (Kenya)Tiwani Spirulina: superfood for growing middle class
- Success Story 5 (Mali)Ouradi: quality brand for traditional smoked fish
- Success Story 6 (Mauritius)Mauritius: a diving, research... and awareness centre
- Success Story 7 (Senegal)Senegal: the cold that came from the sun
- Success Story 8 (Madagascar)Madagascar: securing the future of a small-scale coastal fishing
- Success Story 9 (Seychelles)The Republic of Seychelles: an African state turned towards the ocean