- raise awareness about waste reduction, product reuse and material recycling strategies, and related European Union and Member States policies;
- highlight the work accomplished by EWWR participants;
- mobilise and encourage European citizens to concentrate on four key action themes;
- reinforce EWWR stakeholders’ capacities by providing them with targeted communication tools and training.
It is estimated that more than 150 million tonnes of plastics have accumulated in the world's ocean, while 4.6-12.7 million tonnes are added every year. Approximately 80% of marine litter is land-based.  Therefore, we can all contribute to reducing marine litter through waste prevention wherever we live, be it along the coast or far away from the ocean.
Dive into the Map of the Week to learn more about seafloor litter plastic bags density.
Wondering what you can do?
- Get inspired with the of the European Week for Waste Reduction website!
- Join the ‘Make Europe Blue’ Campaign by submitting your pledge for the ocean online!