MARINE LIITER ISSUES.
Centro Tecnolóxico do Mar - Fundación CETMAR.
Vigo (Galicia - Spain).
Regarding marine litter issues and fishermen involvement in practical experiences to collect waste from the sea:
CETMAR is working in those issues from some years ago (attached document) we are glad to see there is an increasing awareness and concern in EU countries and organizations focusing at the same problem.
We have got a sound experience on the issue, developing several projects always in close relation with the industry (fishermen, public authorities, waste managers, converters…). You will find in attachment a brief document informing about CETMAR and also the marine litter-related projects we have implemented or we are currently implementing, and two projects leaflets as an example of our performing, and the way we focus it (in Galician, but NPB 2009 available in English). In addition, you can visit our web site: http://www.cetmar.org/.
We are interested in establishing relationship-communications with other institutions-organizations in the view of establishing possible ways of collaboration on the issue. In fact, as a Centre working together with the fishing industry, we are already implementing some actions in the way some others are doing in Europe. Indeed, we think it would turn out in a productive relationship for both the fisheries industry and the marine environment. In addition, we are starting to work on developing some aspects of the Integrated Maritime Policy action so-called “Guardians of the sea”, which keep close relation and include the aims of the marine litter initiative.
From a technical and professional point of view, we can say we have good experience and the abilities needed to implement activities such as those aiming by DG-Fisheries and DG-Environment:
- To develop studies, analysis, reports, activities design and action plan, both under environmental and socioeconomic terms.
- Project planning and implementation.
- To prepare campaigns with the industry (fishing sector) to remove and tackle marine litter from the sea.
- Activities/seminars/dissemination campaigns to raise awareness and informing to the target audience (fishery communities, shipping sector, yachtsmen, portal areas, public authorities, tourist sector, schools, etc) about marine litter.
- Communicating campaigns in an easy accessible format about the ecological, socio-economical and legal impact of marine litter.
- Developing and communicating some best practices in order to minimize marine litter and its effects in the targeted countries.
Therefore, due to our experience and the knowledge gained, we would like to express our disposal to collaborate at facing the marine litter problem in our seas and coasts, both with the public or the private sector.