EMODnet Phase II thematic and regional lots
All of the EMODnet thematic lots have now started! The thematic lots are funded under EMODnet Phase II (tender MARE 2012/10). The regional EMODnet Sea Basin Checkpoints have also started with one final contract left to be signed.
Theme / region
Phase II Starting Date
Bathymetry / hydrography
The North Sea
Kick-off meeting held on
Contract yet to be signed.
Recent EMODnet meetings and events:
- Meeting between Regional Operational Oceanography Systems (ROOSs) and EMODnet in the framework of EMODnet thematic lot 6 (Physics) on 18/11/2013;
- 20th Meeting of Marine Observation and Data Expert Group (MODEG) took place on 20-21/10/2013 in Brussels;
- EMODnet Mediterranean Sea Basin Checlpoint (lot 2) kick-off with a meeting on 16-17-18 October 2013 in Bologna;
- EMODnet Physical Habitats (lot 3) started with a kick-off meeting in Rome from 1-3 October 2013. 26 people representing 9 institutes joined the meeting.
- EMODnet Biology Phase 2 (lot 5) started with a kick off meeting in Oostende from 11-12 September 2013. About 40 people representing 23 institutes joined the two-day meeting (http://bio.emodnet.eu/).
- EMODnet Chemistry Phase 2 (lot 4) started with a kick off meeting in
Trieste - Italy on 3-4-5 June 2013. About 66 people representing 40
institutes joined the meeting (http://www.emodnet-chemistry.eu).
- EMODnet Bathymetry (lot 1) started with a kick off meeting in
Lisbon - Portugal on 17-18 June 2013. About 33 people representing 20
institutes joined the two-day meeting (http://www.emodnet-hydrography.eu).
- EMODnet Physics (lot 6) started with a kick off meeting in Brussels Belgium on 24-25 June 2013. About 10 people representing 5 institutes joined the two-day meeting. (http://www.emodnet-physics.eu).
Future EMODnet meetings and events:
EMODnet Steering Committee Meetings
The EMODnet Steering Committee, composed of the coordinators and technical advisors of the EMODnet thematic lots (Tender MARE 2012/10), will meet regularly to exchange information, discuss common approaches, communication and technical standards as well as guide the development of the EMODnet Entry Portal (www.emodnet.eu).
The first meeting of the Steering Committee will take place on 16-17 December 2013 at the JPI Oceans office in Brussels.
There will be three Steering Committee meetings per year, taking place 2-3 weeks prior to the Marine Observation and Data Expert Group Meeting (MODEG) Meetings to be able to report on the progress to MODEG.
- Meetings planned in 2014: (Dec 2013)/May/September – matching MODEG Meetings in February/June/October
- Meetings planned in 2015: Jan/May/September - matching MODEG Meetings in February/June/October
Marine Observation and Data Expert Group (MODEG) Meetings
The 21st MODEG Meeting will take place on Wednesday 19 and Thursday 20 February 2014 at the InnovOcean site in Oostende (Belgium).
Future Meetings planned to take place
- June/October 2014
- February/June/October 2015
Other EMODnet events:
- EMODnet – JPI Oceans Secretariat information meeting on 17 December 2014 (TBC)
- Formal opening of the EMODnet Secretariat – 19 February 2014
The EMODnet Secretariat Office will be formally inaugurated in 19 February 2014 at the InnovOcean site in Oostende (Belgium). A programme will be made available on the Maritime Forum. All interested persons are welcome to attend the opening ceremony and reception.
- Temporary central EMODnet landing page www.emodnet.eu has been made available online by VLIZ since 21 October 2013 upon request from the EMODnet Secretariat. This constitutes an important step towards increased coherence in the EMODnet internet-presence. The EMODnet landing page acts as a gateway to the various thematic and regional portals to obtain data and data products. Over time the Entry Portal will develop a set of added value data products of its own which are complementary to the EMODnet thematic and regional portals.